Switzerland’s Lake Lucerne
- Half board in hotel close to the station, steamer quay and city
- Ascent of two mountains by train (Rigi and Pilatus)
- Three lake cruises (Vitznau, Alpnachstad and Flüelen)
- Brünig and Gotthard Passes by train
- The historic city of Lucerne
Saturday 13 June to Saturday 20 June 2020
Lucerne boasts glorious mountain and lake scenery, an ideal destination for an easy rail holiday with a variety of escorted excursions to enjoy – even shopping!
Day 1 – London to Freiburg
Morning Eurostar to Brussels, then high speed connection via Cologne to Freiburg in southern Germany. Arrive at your hotel, next to the station, in time for our evening meal.
Day 2 – Relax in Lucerne
Within two hours, we arrive in the beautiful lakeside city of Lucerne. Afternoon is free to explore. The famous wooden Kapellbrücke is just two minutes from the hotel or use your Tell Pass for free travel on all public transport including boats and cable cars.
Day 3 – Explore the Rigi by Boat and Train
Morning at leisure in Lucerne. Afternoon boat trip on the lake to Vitznau for mountain rack railway ascent of the Rigi. Return via Arth Goldau and main line train to Lucerne.
Day 4 – Interlaken
Relaxing two hour train journey over the Brünig Pass, through beautiful mountain and lake scenery, brings us to the famous resort of Interlaken where there is time to explore. Return to Lucerne by train.
Day 5 – Pilatus
No holiday to Lucerne is complete without one of our favourite Alpine excursions – lake steamer to Alpnachstad, mountain railway to Pilatus Summit, cable car descent to Kriens and trolleybus back to Lucerne.
Day 6 – The Gotthard Pass
We take a 3 hour cruise on a Lake Lucerne paddle steamer along the lake to Flüelen. Train journey up the famous Gotthard route with its amazing hairpins to Göschenen. Finally we board the rack railway to travel up through the Schöllenen Gorge to Andermatt. Return by train to Lucerne.
Day 7 – Aachen
Mid-morning train departure from Lucerne via Basle and Frankfurt to Aachen where we have our final overnight stop.
Day 8 – Via Brussels to London
High speed train to Brussels with connection to London, arriving early afternoon.
Hotel Waldstätterhof, Lucerne
Ibis am Marschiertor, Aachen
Please note - hotels can be subject to change
- Rail travel as specified in standard class
- Seat reservations on international outward and return journeys and, where available, in Switzerland
- Tell Pass for unlimited travel within the Lake Lucerne region (includes mountain railways and lake steamers)
- Accommodation in good quality hotels on a half board basis
- Services of a tour leader from London and throughout the tour
Download your tour booking form here.