Christmas Market - Dresden
- Unlimited mainline rail travel within Germany for duration of stay
- Unlimited travel on public transport systems of Dresden for duration of stay
- Christmas Market in Dresden
- Cranzahl and Oberwiesenthal, Zittau, Freital-Hainsberg and Radeburg narrow gauge steam railways (at an additional cost)
- Overnight stays in Aachen and Cologne on the outbound and return journeys
- 8 Days from £1,120pp
Saturday 1 December to Saturday 8 December 2018
Enjoy some festive shopping and all the trimmings with the added opportunity of exploring several surviving steam railways in the Dresden area. There will be plenty of time to enjoy the city’s Christmas Markets and an option to join daily excursions to ride nostalgic steam trains.
Day 1 – Aachen
Taking the Eurostar from London we head to Brussels to connect to a high speed train to Aachen for an overnight stay. We have a short walk to our hotel, the Ibis Hotel am Marschiertor.
Day 2 – Arrive Dresden
We take the classic rail route along the Rhine to Frankfurt before heading east to Dresden, our base for the next 5 nights. Included is a transport ticket to allow unlimited travel on Dresden’s public transport system for the duration of our stay.
Days 3 to 5 – Steam Railway Daily Excursions
On these days the tour leader will organise optional, escorted excursions to the Cranzahl and Oberwiesenthal, Zittau, Freital-Hainsberg and Radeburg narrow gauge steam railways. The cost of reaching these lines is included in your InterRail pass but the steam train fares must be purchased locally. All these lines survived the communist period and still operate a daily year round service.
Day 6 – Christmas Shopping in Dresden
Today we enjoy a free day in Dresden to experience the city’s festive Christmas Markets that transform Dresden into a colourful, magical place. Savour some traditional Saxon festive treats in the heart of this Baroque city and purchase some traditional gifts for loved ones. Your transport ticket will allow you to travel free around the city on all public transport. If you wish to go further afield using national routes you can use your InterRail pass.
Day 7 – Cologne
We take a morning ICE service to Frankfurt where we make a change to another ICE service to our final overnight stop, Cologne.
Day 8 – Homeward Bound
A morning departure via the high speed line to Brussels and finally London. Arrive back in London mid-afternoon.
Ibis Hotel am Marschiertor, Aachen
InterCity Hotel, Dresden
Ibis Hotel Kôln am Dom, Cologne
Please note - hotels can be subject to change
- Standard Standard class rail travel throughout
- InterRail Pass for Germany, which includes FREE travel from your home station to London
- Public transport ticket for Dresden
- Accommodation in good quality hotels on a bed and breakfast basis
- Services of a tour leader from London and throughout the tour
Price per person
|Single room supplement:||£210|
|Deposit for this holiday:||£100|
|Rates of exchange used are as at 1st May 2018|
Download your tour booking form here.