Christmas & New Year in Switzerland
- Journey via the classic Rhine route from Cologne to Interlaken
- First Class Swiss Travel Pass for unlimited travel whilst in Switzerland
- No expensive excursions to pay for
- Leisure time in Interlaken and Lucerne
- Half Board in Interlaken and dinner on New Year's Eve in Lucerne
- Escorted optional excursions to Mürren, Zermatt, Rigi, plus a lake cruise
- Ideally located hotels
- 14 Days from £2,415pp
Friday 21 December 2018 to Thursday 3 January 2019
Experience a guaranteed ‘White Christmas’ in the snow-capped Swiss Alps this festive season. This 2-centre annual escorted tour is one of our firm favourites, providing an opportunity to enjoy Christmas and New Year with fellow travellers in a winter wonderland. Join daily excursions or enjoy independent sightseeing with a first class Swiss Travel Pass.
Day 1 – To Cologne
We take a mid-morning Eurostar from London St Pancras to Brussels, then onwards to Cologne for an overnight stay.
Day 2 – Arrive Interlaken
We travel via the classic Rhine route from Cologne on a direct train to Interlaken. We stay at the Hotel City Oberland for 7 nights on a half board basis.
Days 3 to 8 – Explore the Bernese Oberland
From our base in the Swiss resort of Interlaken you can use your first class Swiss Travel Pass to explore the beautiful Bernese Oberland region. The travel ticket covers trains, trams, lake steamers and post buses so there is something for everyone. Your experienced tour leader will offer an optional escorted excursion each day. We will supply, prior to the holiday, a comprehensive excursion list to give you some suggestions to consider. Interlaken is situated between the beautiful waters of Lake Thun and Lake Brienz and the nearby Jungfrau region boasts some stunning scenery, especially in winter.
Day 9 – Lucerne
Leisurely half day journey to Lucerne, where we arrive at lunchtime. Free afternoon to familiarise yourself with this attractive lakeside town known as the gateway to central Switzerland. We stay for 4 nights on a bed and breakfast basis. We also include dinner in the hotel on New Year’s Eve.
Days 10 to 12 – Explore at Leisure
Free days based in Lucerne with your Swiss Travel Pass. Again, there will be an optional escorted excursion offered each day and destinations may include a lake cruise and a rail excursion to the Rigi Mountain, whose peak can be reached by a cogwheel train and which offers magnificent views of Lake Lucerne and the Alps (weather permitting). Or you may wish to relax and simply enjoy the beautiful lakeside setting.
Day 13 – To Mainz
Leaving Lucerne after a leisurely breakfast we travel to Basle and make a connection with the ICE service to Mainz for an overnight stay. We include a farewell dinner at the hotel.
Day 14 – Homeward Bound
Early morning train from Mainz, via Cologne, will make a connection in Brussels with Eurostar and we arrive back into London St Pancras late afternoon.
Ibis Köln am Dom, Cologne
City Hotel Oberland, Interlaken
Intercity Hotel, Mainz
Please note - hotels can be subject to change
- Standard class travel to and from Switzerland
- First Class Swiss Travel Pass for unlimited travel on trains, postbuses, lake steamers and many city buses and trams
- Optional escorted excursions as listed
- Glacier and Bernina Express supplements
- Accommodation in good, centrally located hotels on a bed & breakfast basis
- Dinners in Interlaken
- New Year's Eve dinner in Lucerne
- Services of a tour leader from London and throughout the tour
Price per person
|Single room supplement:||£330|
|Deposit for this holiday:||£100|
Download your tour booking form here.