Swiss Rail Adventure
- Scenic rail journey to and from Switzerland using Eurostar and InterCity trains
- First class Swiss Pass for unlimited travel whilst in Switzerland
- No expensive excursions to pay for
- Steam excursions on Rhaetian Railway, Furka Bergstrecke & Brienz Rothorn Railway
- Bernina and Glacier Express trains with reserved seats in first class
- Arranged optional excursions on free days to Arosa, Davos, Zermatt and Montreux at no extra cost (these may change according to weather conditions)
- Centrally located hotel in the heart of the pedestrianised Old Town of Chur
- Brig hotel close to station enabling easy access on free days with your first class Swiss Pass
- Thun hotel served by very frequent bus service to the station
- 15 Days from £2,775pp
Thursday 12 September to Thursday 26 September 2019
This is a tour in which the pleasures of steam train travel are enhanced by their location. Lovers of rail travel, culture and nature will delight in the diversity of the locations and stunning scenery that Switzerland has in abundance.
Day 1 – London to Cologne
Depart mid-morning on Eurostar from London St Pancras to Brussels, then onwards by ICE train to Cologne where we have an overnight stay.
Day 2 – Graubünden
Leaving Cologne after breakfast we head south to Basle. Reaching Basle we change trains for Chur and from this point on whilst in Switzerland we will be travelling in first class using our unlimited travel pass which is provided as part of the holiday. We stay for 5 nights in this charming historic city and our hotel is in the traffic free area of the old town.
Day 3 – Steam on Rhaetian Railways
Today we have a full day excursion operated by Rhaetian Railways on their network. The locomotive and coaches are stored at the depot in Landquart and the company operates steam on 3 routes throughout the year.
Day 4 – Bernina Express
Today our spectacular excursion is a return trip from Chur to Tirano on the Bernina Express, climbing across Europe’s highest railway Alpine pass at a height of over 2000m. The spirals and tunnels of the Albula section and the spiral viaduct at Brusio near the end of the line, make this a day not to be missed. Reserved seats both ways in first class.
Days 5 & 6 – Free Time
Being the home of the UNESCO World Heritage Rhaetian Railways network, what better way to explore than taking one of their red trains into the surrounding area. You can visit Arosa, Davos and Klosters, all of which are within easy reach. Our excursion booklet, which will be sent to you prior to departure, provides lots of sightseeing suggestions and there will be an optional escorted excursion on offer.
Day 7 – Glacier Express
One of Switzerland’s most scenic rail journeys, delivering the best views through its panoramic windows, so sit back, relax and enjoy the spectacular scenery as we travel to Brig, in the Rhone Valley. Reserved seats in first class. We stay in Brig for 4 nights.
Day 8 – At Leisure
Using your travel pass there are several metre gauge branch lines in the vicinity worth a visit or take the scenic Centovalli route into Italy. The optional escorted excursion will be a full day to Zermatt with free time to allow the opportunity to take the Gornergrat Railway to the summit (additional charge on production of your travel pass).
Day 9 – Furka Bergstrecke Steam
Travelling on a local service from Brig to Realp we arrive in time to embark on a full return trip by steam on what was once the original alignment of the Glacier Express route over the Furka Pass. Return late afternoon by local service to Brig.
Day 10 – At Leisure
Free day based in Brig with your Swiss Travel Pass. There will be an optional escorted excursion on offer, or you can be totally independent and your tour leader will be happy to help with planning and timings.
Day 11 – Bernese Oberland
A short trip by train takes us from the Rhone Valley, via the Lötschberg Tunnel, into the Bernese Oberland and the lakeside resort of Thun. The region is home to the peaks of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau and the 12th Century castle in Thun dominates the town.
Day 12 – Brienzer Rothorn
The pretty little village of Brienz is only a short journey from Thun. From here the steam driven rack railway travels to the summit of the Rothorn, a journey of around an hour, and an altitude of approx 2250m. We have time for lunch before the descent.
Day 13 – Bern
A leisurely day’s travel to Bern, with free time to explore, before enjoying a private charter on Bern’s unique steam tram.
Day 14 – To Mainz
We depart Thun after breakfast and make our way via Basle to Mainz where we have an overnight stay with farewell dinner included.
Day 15 – London
Early morning train from Mainz, via Cologne, will make a connection in Brussels with Eurostar and we arrive back into London St Pancras late afternoon.
Please note that the details of the steam excursions may be subject to change.
Ibis Köln am Dom, Cologne
Hotel Freieck, Chur
Hotel Ambassador, Brig
Hotel Holiday, Thun
Please note - hotels can be subject to change
- Standard class travel to and from Switzerland
- First class Swiss Travel Pass for unlimited travel on trains, postbuses, lake steamers and many city buses and trams
- Steam excursions as listed in itinerary
- Daily optional excursions
- Bernina and Glacier Express supplements
- Accommodation in good, quality hotels on a bed and breakfast basis
- Services of a tour leader from London and throughout the tour
Price per person
|Single room supplement:||£505|
|Deposit for this holiday:||£100|
Download your tour booking form here.